Fred Hancock Auxiliary Unit No. 19
Fred Hancock Unit #19
Auxiliary Article for the May/June 2017 Newsletter
Your Fred Hancock Auxiliary Unit #19 has had a “whirlwind” of projects during March and April.
On March 2, Elva Schulz, Esther Maas, Linda Cook and I attended the Veterans Creative Arts Competition held at the American Lake Division which is part of the VA Puget Sound Health Care system.
We had a well-attended Past Commanders and Past Presidents Luncheon on March 18.
At our March 20 Sew & Chat, Esther Maas, Elva Schulz, Erika Tiede and I helped to complete a project of 36 comfort pillows which the Unit began in January.
The Unit enjoyed meeting Renton Officer Thaddeus Kerkhoff, the Post’s Law & Order Award recipient at our Post’s Law & Order Night Ice Cream Social. Erika Tiede and I, while recruiting for Girls State with the Career Counselor at Renton High School, saw him on the job with students who were enjoying a pizza lunch.
The Unit has been busy with preparations for hosting the Department of Washington Auxiliary District #11 Women Veterans and Active Military Women Luncheon on April 29.
Some of the projects involving RSVPs and online applications enabled the Unit to update its Webpage on Post #19’s Website. We sincerely thank WebMaster, Fred DeBerry, for his expertise in making this possible!
Esther Maas’ family held a 90th birthday party for her at the Post on April 22. The Post’s hall was filled to the brim with happiness with lots of family, friends and grand & great grandchildren!
Save the date for the following May/June events:
May 9 – New Member Initiation and District #11 Visitation
May 15 – Sew & Chat Garage Sale sorting
May 19 – Poppy Fundraising begins
May 25 – Post/Unit Dine-out at 6:30 pm
May 29 – Memorial Day events
June 9 & 10 – Garage Sale Unit Fundraiser (also, an Arts & Crafts Bazaar is being planned for October 2107)
June 11 – District #11 Pre-convention Dinner
June 14 – Post Flag Disposal ceremony at 6:30 pm
June 27 – Post & Unit Officers Installation Potluck Dessert at 7:30 pm.
Merrily, we rejoice with spring and look forward to a summer filled with fun!
“In service, not self.”
Diana Hagen, Unit #19 President
1) American Lake Creative Arts Festival – Diana Hagen, Esther Maas, Elva Schulz and Linda Cook
2) Past Commanders and Past Presidents Luncheon – Bettijane Tomkinson and Mario Tonda
3) Law & Order Night – James Wilhoit and Officer Thaddeus Kerkhoff
4) Esther’s 90th Birthday Celebration – Esther Maas
In fulfillment of our Mission, the American Legion Auxiliary adheres to the following purposes:
- To support and advocate for veterans, active military and their families
- To support the initiatives and programs of The American Legion
- To foster patriotism and responsible citizenship
- To award scholarships and promote quality education and literacy
- To provide educational and leadership opportunities that uphold the ideals of freedom and democracy and encourage good citizenship and patriotism in government
- To increase our capacity to deliver our Mission by providing meaningful volunteer opportunities within our communities
- To empower our membership to achieve personal fulfillment through Service Not Self
Renew, Renew, Renew!! Dues are now DUE!!
It is time to send in your 2017 Dues Renewals.
Has your address changed? Contact Esther Maas (425-255-7108) to update your address or pay your dues.
We invite new members to join us! We encourage your family members and friends to become involved in a great, rewarding experience – helping VETERANS and their families.
WE NEED YOU!
COME JOIN US for Sew and Chat
We need your company/help in these projects for our veterans in the VA Hospitals. We sew and tie lap robes, make ditty bags, stuff neck pillows, make wheel chair bags, wrap gifts and other things for the VA Hospital patients. It doesn't requre much talent or experience - just come and enjoy. We laugh and discuss the problems of the world. Men are welcome to come join us.
Only a FEW hours are needed and so MUCH can be accomplished!