Fred Hancock Auxiliary Unit No. 19
Auxiliary Article for the March-April 2018 Newsletter
Auxiliary Unit members, Elva Schulz, Esther Maas, Linda Cook, Erika Tiede, Rhonda Jarvis, and Evelyn Lundstrom-Weiss have been busy with a variety of projects.
In January, we gave a presentation about Girls State to members of the Soroptimists International of Renton at their meeting which was held at Merrill Gardens and we distributed Girls State application packets to 6 local high schools.
In February, our Post and Unit hosted the District 11 meeting which was followed by a home-cooked spaghetti dinner.
We also joined with Post members for a Dine-out at My Place on Sunset Boulevard, a Café Vets get-together and Americanism Night with a special presentation on Navy LCS-Class Vessels given by Korean War veteran Henry Bohne.
We look forward to hosting the Past Commanders and Past Presidents Luncheon on Saturday, March 17, at 11 am. The annual luncheon with its memorial program honors all past Commanders and Presidents for their service to the Post and Unit in the Renton community. Everyone is invited to come and show their appreciation! It's a potluck so bring your favorite food. The Post will furnish a ham and cake.
Save the Date for the following upcoming events:
Sunday, March 11 - District 11 Meeting at Kent hosted by Auburn
Thursday, March 15 - Café Vets
Saturday, March 17 - Past Commanders and Past Presidents Luncheon
Monday, March 19 - Sew & Chat
Thursday, March 22 - Law & Order Night
Monday, April 16 - Sew & Chat
Thursday, April 19 - Café Vets
Sunday, April 22 - Spring Conference at Kent
Thursday, April 26 - 6:30 Potluck Initiation/Poppy Social
Saturday, May 19 - District 11 Women Veterans and Active Military Women Luncheon at Bothell
"Service not self."
Sincerely, Diana Hagen
Auxiliary Unit #19 President
1) January 25 Dine-out - My Place (Bruce, Craig, Eric, Evelyn, James, Bill, Erika - Elva and Esther) #2627
2) February 11 - District 11 spaghetti dinner #2724 or #2715
3) February 15 - Café Vets (James, Patty, Erika and Rex Black) #2731 or (John and Fritz) #2725
4) February 22 - Americanism Night (Fred, Bruce, Patty, Fritz and Henry Bohne) #2737
In fulfillment of our Mission, the American Legion Auxiliary adheres to the following purposes:
- To support and advocate for veterans, active military and their families
- To support the initiatives and programs of The American Legion
- To foster patriotism and responsible citizenship
- To award scholarships and promote quality education and literacy
- To provide educational and leadership opportunities that uphold the ideals of freedom and democracy and encourage good citizenship and patriotism in government
- To increase our capacity to deliver our Mission by providing meaningful volunteer opportunities within our communities
- To empower our membership to achieve personal fulfillment through Service Not Self
It's time to renew your membership dues.
Has your address changed? Contact Esther Maas (425-255-7108) to update your address or pay your dues.
We invite new members to join us! We encourage your family members and friends to become involved in a great, rewarding experience – helping VETERANS and their families.
WE NEED YOU!
COME JOIN US for Sew and Chat
We need your company/help in these projects for our veterans in the VA Hospitals. We sew and tie lap robes, make ditty bags, stuff neck pillows, make wheel chair bags, wrap gifts and other things for the VA Hospital patients. It doesn't requre much talent or experience - just come and enjoy. We laugh and discuss the problems of the world. Men are welcome to come join us.
Only a FEW hours are needed and so MUCH can be accomplished!